Black Beach seems like a secret place. It is located below Silver Bay, MN on the city access road and there are actually 3 beaches here. I’m sure it is a very popular spot for locals, but to a tourist, it seems like a hidden gem.
Roundtrip: 4 km
Location: Silver Bay, MN
Click Here for Google Map
Directions to Trailhead
- From Silver Bay, MN drive north on Highway 61
- Turn south onto Water Plant Road
- Stay on Water Plant Road as it turns into East Lakeview Road
- Stay right on Water Plant Road where East Lakeview road continues straight.
- Park at the small parking area by the beach.
The beach sand is black and very soft. It is located in a small cove that I hear is a good spot for swimming –it was way too cold when I was there, but maybe next time!
At the Southernmost end of the beach, there is a large rock formation that just begs to be climbed and explored. Climbing to the top of this little island is steep and is not for everyone –and getting down is much more dangerous than climbing up –be safe if you choose to climb to the top!